download in pdf
For a studio visit in Long Island City, NY, please contact for an appointment.
Born: Seoul, S. Korea, 1973 (citizenship: U.S.A.)
- SCA Contemporary Art, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Yoon Cho: Fluid State.
- Media Project Space, Rockland Center for the Arts, West Nyak, New York.
- Crossing Art Gallery, Queens, New York, People as Places as People. (3 person exhibition)
- Discover Queens Visitor's Center, Elmhurst, New York, In the Marriage.
- Ringling College of Art and
Design, Sarasota, Florida, Yoon Cho: Cultural Adjustments.
- Cactus Bra Space, San Antonio, Texas, Yoon Cho: Some Aspects of Love.
- Women & Their Work, Austin,
Texas, Yoon Cho: Nothing Lasts Forever. (brochure)
- Central Pennsylvania College, Summerdale, Pennsylvania, Yoon Cho.
- Penn State University, Altoona, Pennsylvania, Ivyside Exhibition.
- The Dallas Center for Contemporary Art, Dallas, Texas, Mix!.
- Edinboro University, Edinboro, Pennsylvania, Habits and Habitations. (3 person exhibition)
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- Flusing Town Hall, Smithsonian Affiliate, Flushing, New York.
Forthcoming June 27 -July 27.
Curated by Amy Winter, director of the Godwin Ternbach Museum.
- Julia de Burgos Cultural Center, New York, New York, Flights of Fancy. Forthcoming September 20 - November 22.
- Sterling National Bank, Long Island City, New York, Summer Show.
- Armory Week Korean Art Show 2012, New York, New York. Curated by Korean Cultural Service NY.
- Grace Institute, New York, New York, Here & Now.
- Morehead State University, Kentucky, East Meets West.
- St. Paul the Apostle, New York, New York, Openings NY Collective exhibition: Rumble Above the Clouds.
- Pierogie Gallery, Brooklyn, New York, Twin Twin Postcard Edition.
- Henry DeFord III Gallery, CitiCorp Building, Long Island City, New York, In The Place We Live.
- Samson Projects, Boston, Massachusetts, Chain Letter, a Global Show.
- BronxArtSpace, Bronx, New York, Quiet Places.
- St. Francis College, Brooklyn, New York, the Art Spirit 2.
- Rowan University, Glassboro, New Jersey, Body, Mind and Hair.
- The Islip Art Museum, Islip, New York, All in the Family.
- Korean Cultural Service NY at Korean Consulate General NY, New York, New York, Personal Zone. (catalog)
- Arario Gallery, New York, New York,
Irrelevant: Local Emerging Asian Artists Who Don't Make Work About Being Asian.
- Arts in Bushwick BETA Space 2010 Festival, Brooklyn, New York, I Fall, I Flow, I Melt.
- St. Paul the Apostle, New York, NY, Openings NY Collective exhibition: The Naked Measures.
- Nave Gallery, Somerville, Massachusetts, Sacred=Art?.
- M55Art, Long Island City, NY, Concerto of Illumination at the Long Island City Night of The Armory Show. Curated by Assa Bigger.
- Austin Museum of Art exhibition, New Art in Austin
(catalog) traveling to:
The Grace Museum, Abilene, Texas.
DiverseWorks, Houston, Texas.
- Wichita Falls Museum of Art, Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls, Texas, The Second Biennial Survey of Texas Art and Artists.
- Elon University, Elon, North Carolina, Small Works Invitational.
- Austin Museum of Art, Austin, Texas, New Art in Austin: 20 to Watch (catalogue)
Blue Star Contemporary Art Center, San Antonio, Texas.
- Midwest Museum of Contemporary Art, Indianapolis, Indiana, Backyard.
- Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, Florida, Digital Is.
- The Parachute Factory Gallery, New Haven, Connecticut, Family Business. Curated by Howard el-Yasin
and Debbie Hesse, Director of Artistic Services and Programs at The Arts Council of Greater New Haven.
- Color of Energy Gallery, Dayton, Ohio, You Are Here. Curated by Eva Buttacavoli, Director of Exhibitions at
the Austin Museum of Art. (brochure)
- Fuse Box Festival, collaboration with a dance
group, Little Stolen Moments, Austin, Texas, LSM + NLF.
- Austin City Hall, Austin, Texas, People's Gallery Exhibition 2008.
- Museum of Fine Arts, University of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida, Combined Talents: Florida International Exhibition. (catalogue)
- Chelsea Art Museum, New York, New York, Design and Technology Ten Years Running.
- Gallery Nulu, Louisville, Kentucky, 2007 Louisville Photo Biennial.
- New Arts Program, Kutztown, Pennsylvania, Invitational Salon of Small Works.
- University of Texas at Dallas, Texas, Legacy of Photomontage. (brochure)
- Austin City Hall, Austin, Texas, Austin City Hall Exhibition 2007.
- ALL Gallery, New Haven, Connecticut, LOUD.
- MPG Contemporary, Boston, Massachusetts, New Art 2007.
Curated by Raphaela Platow, Chief Curator of Rose Art Museum, Brandeis
- The LAB, San Francisco, California, Some Assembly Required.
- Dunn and Brown Contemporary, Dallas, Texas, I-35 Biennial Invitational.
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Drawing No Conclusions. Curated by Dominic Molon, Associate Curator at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago.
- Austin City Hall, Austin, Texas, People's Gallery Exhibition 2006.
- Fort Worth Community Arts Center, Fort Worth, Texas, 9 x 12 Works on Paper Show.
- Austin, Texas, Cacks in the Pavement: Site-Specific Works by International
Artists at Public Locations Around the World. Curated by Heather Johnson.
- The New School University, New York, New York, close;mfadt.
- Sixth Annual New York Digital Salon traveled to:
Sala de Exposiciones CAN, Alicante, Spain.
Centro de Cultura Contemporanea, Barcelona, Spain.
Triennale di Milano, Milan, Italy.
Circulo de Bellas Artes, Madrid, Spain.
- Visual Arts Museum,
New York, New York, Sixth Annual New York Digital Salon.
- 25th Athens International Film and Video Festival, Athens, Ohio.
- Woods Gerry Gallery, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, Rhode
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Artspire Fiscal Sponsorship for the Walk Project by New York Foundation for the Arts, 2013.
- Panelist, Reintegrate: Collaborations in the Arts & Sciences Grant, Arts Council of Greater New Haven, Connecticut, 2012.
- Peer Leadership Circle, Queens Council on the Arts, New York, Fall 2012.
- Alternate Resident for the Acadia National Park Arist-in-Residence Program, Maine, 2012.
- Vermont Studio Center Artist-in-Residency with Artist's Grant and The Work Exchange Award, Vermont, 2011.
- Visiting Artist, Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota,
- Shortlist, Artpace San Antonio International Artist-in-Residence program, Texas, 2009.
- Nominee, Austin Critics' Table Awards 2007-2008 for "The Best Artist" and "Best Solo Gallery Exhibition"
categories, Austin, Texas, 2008.
- Honorable Mention, New Art 2007: A National Competition for Emerging Artist at MPG Gallery, Boston,
- “Multimedia Merit Award” and “Multimedia Outstanding Achievement Merit Award,” HOW International Annual Competition, 1999.
- Parsons School of Design MFA Academic Scholarship, New York, New York, 1998 - 1999.
ARTIST TALK & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Artist Talk, Grace Institute, New York, New York, 2012.
Artist Talk, Hery DeFord III Gallery of CitiCorp, Long Island City, New York, 2011.
Visiting Artist Lecture, Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota,
Adjunct Professor, Parsons School of Design, BFA, New York, New York,
2009, 1998 - 1999.
Artist Talk, The Parachute Factory gallery, New Haven, Connecticut, 2008.
Artist talk & Workshops,
Women and Their Work gallery, Austin, Texas, 2008.
Gallery Talk, Austin Museum of Art, Austin, Texas, 2008.
Artist Talk for Docents, Austin Museum of Art, Austin, Texas,
Artist Talk, Austin City Hall,
Adjunct Professor, Hanyang University, MFA & BFA, Seoul, Korea, 2002.
Adjunct Professor, Parsons School of Design, CE, New York, New York,
Teaching Assistant, Parsons School of Design, BFA, New York, New York,
Teaching Assistant, Rhode Island School of Design, BFA, Providence,
Rhode Island, 1996.
* Chiara Di Lello, "In the Place We Live," M Magazine, December Issue.
Jennifer Reis, "Commentary: 'East Meets West' exhibit opens," The Morehead News, October 4.
"Opening Reception for Quiet Spaces Exhibitioners," Bronx Times, July 21-27.
Yoon Cho, chapter, "Personal Zone," Gallery Korea 2010, (New York, New York: Korean Cultural Service NY), Exhibition catalogue.
"Discover Queens Visitor Center hosting Yoon Cho's video art works," Epoch Times, February 19.
"Crossing Art, People as Places as People," Hey!Korean News, February 7.
"Crossing Art Exhibition for Three Artists," Ming Pao NY Daily, February 7.
"Art doesn't go into hibernation," New York Korea Daily, Feburary 6.
"Crossing Art Gallery Exhibition," Qiao Bao, Feburary 5.
"Crossing Art Exhibition," Sino Vision, Feburary 4.
Jorge Martin, "Art + Sparks at BETA," Hyperallergic, November 17.
"The Naked Measures Exhibit," Currents, New York City NET Cable TV interview, October 8.
"Naked Measures in NYC," Busted Halo, October 8.
* Mark Drummond Davis, "SACRED=ART?," Artscope Magazine, May/June.
Noah Rosenberg, "Paint the town: LIC Art's Night Out," LIC Courier Magazine, Volume 1 Number 6, April.
* Troy Schulze, "Clever, Funny and Disturbing," Houston Press, May 19.
* Judy Birke, "'Family,’ in fine, revealing variations comes alive
at Parachute Factory Gallery," New Haven Register, February 8.
* Allan Appel, "'Family Business' On Display," New Haven Independent, January 6.
Jeanne Claire van Ryzin, "8 from '08: great year in Austin arts," XLENT, Austin American Statesman, December 25.
* "Exhibit portrays families," Yale Daily News, December 2.
Dan R. Goddard, “First Friday exhibit brings together area artists,” My SA Entertainment, November 11.
Eva Buttacavoli, Director of Exhibitions and Education at Austin Museum, “You are Here” (Dayton, Ohio: Color of Energy Gallery). Exhibition brochure.
* Angela Ahlgren, "Yoon Cho: Nothing Lasts Forever,"
Might be good (Austin, TX), Issue #99. May 16.
"Another Round of Praise: Nomination for the 2007-2008 Austin Critics Table Awards," The Austin Chronicle, May 9.
Jeanne Claire van Ryzin, "Critics' Table serves up worthy arts nominees,"
XLENT, Austin American Statesman, May 8.
* D. Dominick Lombardi, "Indianapolis FYI RADAR," NY ARTS magazine, May.
* Jeanne Claire van Ryzin, American-Statesman Arts Critic, "Cho Puts
her life on display in her art," XLENT, Austin-American Statesman,
* Salvador Castillo, "That Was Then; This Is Now," The Austin-American
Statesman, April 11.
"BESTBETS: Art Takes Look at Changing Looks," The Austin American
Statesman, April 3.
Suzanne Hanshaw, "Artist Yoon Cho explores identities in solo show,"
Daily Texan, April 3.
Emily Macrander, "'20 to Watch' brings surprise to AMoA," Daily
Texan, April 3.
"Austin Recommended. Yoon Cho: Nothing Lasts Forever," Glasstire Texas Visual Art Online, April.
Amanda Douberley, "Yoon Cho: Nothing Lasts Forever" (Austin, Texas: Women & Their Work), Exhibition brochure.
Ana Maria Torres, "New Art in Austin: 20 to Watch," ODIC FORCE, March/April issue.
* Till Richter, "New Art in Austin 20 to Watch at AMOA,"
Glasstire Texas Visula Art Online, March.
* Shannon McGarvey, "Catch 20 rising stars in Austin arts,"
The Austin American-Statesman, February 22.
Jeanne Claire van Ryzin, American Statesman Arts Critic, "New Art
Austin," XLENT, February 14.
Caitlin Haskell, chapter, "Yoon Cho," 20 to watch, Austin Museum of Art. Exhibition catalog.
Eva Buttacavoli, "Gallery Guide, 20 to Watch, New Art in Austin," Austin Museum of Art. Exhibition brochure.
* Domonick Lombardi, “Indianapolis FYI,” CultureCatch, February 12.
"New Art in Austin 2008: The 20 to watch," The Austin Chronicle,
Ivan Lozano, "Capital A: AMOA's New Art In Austin JPEG guide," Glasstire
Texas Visual Art Online, October.
"Austin Museum of Art selects triennial artists," Austin 360, Austin
American-Statesman, October 9.
Combined Talents: The Florida International. Catalogue.
Kristi Barrus, "Contemporary art exhibit opens at UTD," Dallas Morning News, March 24.
Noah W. Bailey, "Picture Pages," Dallas Observer, March 19.
Marilyn Waligore, “Legacy of Photomontage, engineering the photograph,” (Dallas, TX: University of Texas at
Dallas). Exhibition brochure.
“Index,” Artworld Digest, Special Edition/Seed Issue, Printed exhibition.
Curated by David Cohen.
DISASTER3, A journal of visual art, experimental poetics and
radical politics, 2007, Published by Marcus Civin.
"Galleries feature new artists for the 2006-2007 Ivyside Juried Exhibitions".
Penn State Altoona News, altoona.psu.edu, October 30.
* Janet Kutner, "Gray and green," The Dallas Morning News,
* Phoebe Moore, "Austin City Hall opens People's Gallery," dtweekend.com of Daily Texan, March 23.
HOW, International Annual Issue, "Multimedia Merit Award" & "Multimedia Outstanding Achievement Merit Award". Annual compition catalog.
Yoon Cho, "Art, Technology and Education part II," NY Arts Magazine,
International Edition, Issue 28, January.
"Sixth Annual New York Digital Salon," Leonardo (Cambridge,
MA: MIT Press), Volume 31/Number 5. Catalogue.
* Martha Zuk, "Sixth Annual New York Digital Salon," Uno
Más Uno, November 12.
Master of Fine Arts, Parsons School of Design, New York, New York,
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence,
Rhode Island, 1996